Starting an Etsy shop is like trying to teach a dog to quack!

oops

Bet you’re thinking…’Well that didn’t take long!’ and you would be right (sorta!)

I started working on my Etsy shop about 3 months ago. I went full in…learning everything there was to learn. I watched tutorials on TAGS and how to’s on titles. (VERY important just so ya know. πŸ˜‰ )

I researched my competition and made sure I had a lot of product to list.Β  I was diligent about my cost to produce and determined to leave no stone unturned. I was not going to be caught with my figurative pants down!

I was a woman prepared. I had all my quacking dogs in a row!!!

But here’s the thing, even with all that planning, I had no idea what to expect. There are far too many variables to be completely prepared for anything really.

I was scared to start the shop. I was afraid that if it failed I would be devastated. I had put so much work in and I REALLY needed a win. That fear made me put blinders on and I missed some pretty important stuff.

I’m not going to bore you with all the details but suffice to say it was just not financially practical.Β  I missed some pretty big things in that area. Quite embarrassing if you want to know the truth.Β  But I simply did not realize how costly it was going to be. I was focused on my end of things and I missed some pretty important stuff!

So the shop was closed before I even made a sale and that’s a good thing.

The biggest hit financially is actually this blog. I purchased the domain name and intended on using this space to promote my whimsical wares.

Welp…

that is not going to happen.

So since I’ve paid for the year I am choosing to use this space as a place to have some fun.

6tD

As the tagline reads….Happenings, Hiccups and Hijinx will be provided for your entertainment.

I hope you’ll join me!

etsysig

23 thoughts on “Starting an Etsy shop is like trying to teach a dog to quack!

1. sonofabeach96 June 4, 2018 / 10:00 pm

Well, I’m super sorry to hear about your shop. Don’t give up on it just yet. 😊

• quackingdogdesigns June 4, 2018 / 10:11 pm

Thank you! I have not given up on the Etsy as a whole, but this venture was not going to work. Etsy can be a great thing if you have the right product. Mine was not a good fit because of pricing and fees.
      I hope you’ll keep me company here while this blog is active! πŸ™‚

2. Eleanor Burns June 4, 2018 / 10:04 pm

Really sorry to hear the shop didn’t work out but kudos to you for giving it your best. I have often fancied being self employed but never even find the courage to make a start.

• quackingdogdesigns June 4, 2018 / 10:13 pm

Thanks so much Eleanor. It takes a brave person to be self employed because there are so many balls to juggle and it’s easy to miss some pretty obvious things because you are responsible for everything!
      I’m sad that this didn’t work out but I learned a lot and I have most certainly not given up on the idea of having a shop some day.
      ❀

3. trE June 4, 2018 / 10:14 pm

Nikki, I commend you. You gave it a shot and you’re getting out of it before you can take a major loss. But, like you said–you gained something more and although it costs some money, you’ll touch more people with this blog. I, for one, could use many more laughs throughout my day. πŸ™‚

• quackingdogdesigns June 4, 2018 / 10:19 pm

Thank you for this Tre. ❀ My initial reaction was not so positive but I made it to a place of positivity after a good nap. πŸ˜‰

Bottom line…I'd rather be in this position today than to have never tried.

My quacking dog (Vivi) is simply exhausted from all her work of napping at my feet while I learned all this stuff!

Liked by 2 people

4. Barbara Lindsey June 5, 2018 / 4:49 am

Yes Nikki, I too have made a half hearted attempt at an etsy shop myself. I actually keep popping back in to make sure I have made the right decision not to continue with it, and I’m pretty sure that it is economically unviable. At least you had a good look into it, and learned something along the way. Well done for giving it a go. x

• quackingdogdesigns June 5, 2018 / 12:37 pm

Oh, Thank you Barbara! ❀ It is a lot of work for a very little payoff. In my niche, I truly believe that the people that are making sales are using that money to just become whole. I know how much everything costs…down to each bead so there is no way they are making a profit that is worthwhile.
      That would be fine for a hobby I supposed….although that is a lot of work for a hobby in my opinion. But it's, as you said economically unviable for most of us. It's too bad really.

Steve and I may try a digital shop at some point. No overhead or shipping to deal with.

• Barbara Lindsey June 6, 2018 / 1:22 am

I love the name Quackingdogdesigns, Nikki. That is a great start, a name that stands out and can be easily remembered. I’m sure you can come up with something that will work for you. You just have to keep at it. My heart was not really in selling my creations I guess. It’s the joy that each piece brings me, that is the payoff. The difficulty arises when you really need it to pay off. I believe in you Nikki, you will find a way.

5. watchingthedaisies June 5, 2018 / 10:01 am

Welcome to the blogging community. I hope everything flows for your business…

6. ForgivingConnects June 7, 2018 / 3:51 am

Awesome, Nikki! I love that you’re making a party out of this. One of the keys I live by is a learning orientation to life. Go, girl! Love you!!!! And you are so talented. Blessings, Debbie

• quackingdogdesigns June 8, 2018 / 6:37 pm

Thank you so much Debbie. ❀ That's exactly it. Sometimes you have to move forward to see issues. ❀

7. Miriam June 8, 2018 / 1:08 pm

At least you tried Nikki otherwise you’d never know. So it’s not really a failure, it’s a learning curve.

• quackingdogdesigns June 8, 2018 / 6:38 pm

Yup! That is what I said to Steve. If I hadn’t tried i would always wonder and now I can take this info and hopefully utilize it on something more financially viable. ❀

• Miriam June 8, 2018 / 9:57 pm

Absolutely. All the best with it.

8. Kelly June 8, 2018 / 3:32 pm

Your star is out there just waiting for you to find it and I know that you will. You tried, you learned valuable insight and you will be better prepared next time. There is value in the experience! You know, I am behind you all the way and I believe in You.